Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
- Free Flu Shots for Vets
- Flu season is here in Texas and it’s never too early or too late to get your flu shot. Veterans enrolled in VA health care can get a free flu shot at the MEDVAMC in Houston and its outpatient clinics.
- VA Locomotive Newsletter for Veterans
- The Fall/Winter edition of the VA Locomotive quarterly Veteran newsletter is available. This newsletter is filled with helpful and enlightening information for our Veterans and their families.
- Veterans Day Celebration
- Veterans, please join us on November 7th as we celebrate Veterans Day with a special ceremony. This ceremony will include remembrances from the Civil War and Texas Revolution.
- Galveston VA Outpatient Clinic Veterans Fair
- The Galveston VA Outpatient Clinic will host a Veterans Fair on Saturday, November 8, 2014 at the Galveston VA Outpatient Clinic from 9:00 a.m. to noon. This event is open to all Veterans and their friends and families.
- Houston Stand Down for Homeless Vets
- The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center will be hosting a Stand Down for Homeless Veterans on Friday, October 3 at the Latino Learning Center in Houston, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- "Miracle" Saves Army Veteran's Life
- A groundbreaking surgery at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center recently saved the life of a 66-year-old Army Veteran. "...What they have done for me is nothing short of a Miracle."
- New Dermatology Clinic Open to Veterans
- Veterans coming to Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) for Dermatology treatment will now receive their care in a spacious, modern new clinic on the second floor of the Medical Center.
- DAISY Awards
- The DAISY Award is a very unique and heart-felt way to recognize and reward nurses who go above and beyond for our Veterans!
Photo: DAISY Award winner Brittny Briant with Veteran patient
- Aggressive Wound Care Heals Long-Term Wound
- An 81-year-old Houston area Army Veteran confined to a wheelchair for over a year and a half is crediting staff at VA’s Tomball Outpatient Clinic with providing him expert treatment that has him up on his feet again.
- New MEDVAMC Medical Care Line Executive
- A passion for quality patient care combined with a desire to help others is why Biykem Bozkurt became a doctor. After more than 17 years as a renowned cardiologist, she is the new MEDVAMC Medical Care Line Executive.
From the Veterans Health Administration
- Brain Bank to Help in Treatment of PTSD
- A new brain bank in Vermont will help with understanding abnormal brain activity in PTSD and could pave the way for new approaches to diagnosis and treatment of individuals with PTSD.
- Quit Smoking for Your Health and Breathe Easier
- November 20th is the Great American Smokeout. Join the Smokeout by quitting or making a plan to quit smoking that day. Succeed with helpful tips from Dr. Timothy P. Carmody.
- Just Saying No to Pain Meds
- Specialists at the VA in Charleston, South Carolina, have helped more than 400 patients ease off their chronic pain medications. How did they do it? The answer might surprise you.
- Thousands Sign Up for Dental Insurance
- Over 60,000 Veterans and CHAMPVA beneficiaries have signed up for a dental insurance plan for Veterans with no dental coverage and those eligible for VA dental care who want more coverage.
- Parades Planned Across America on Veterans Day
- On Veterans Day, November 11, Americans pause to honor and salute the men and women whose service and sacrifice made our freedom possible – an annual day of thanks from a grateful nation.
- Tabby Cat Makes Life Easier for Dying Veterans
- An orange tabby cat named Tom lives on the hospice unit of the Salem VA Medical Center in Virginia, providing comfort, amusement and companionship to dying Veterans and their family members.
- VA Offers Programs for Family Caregivers
- The job of caregiver is not easy. It can lead to frustration and burnout. That's why VA has developed two very helpful programs to make the task of caring for your loved one easier and healthier.
- Burn pit exposure? Sign up now in VA Registry.
- Exposed to burn pits or other airborne hazards while deployed? Believe you have health conditions related to these exposures? Join VA's Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry. Learn how here.
- Veterans Arts Festival is Fun and Therapeutic
- VA's Annual Creative Arts Festival is a nation-wide talent competition that lets thousands of Veterans express themselves creatively while helping with their mental and physical health and recovery.
- Flu Shots: More Access, Seamless Documentation
- VA partners with Walgreens to expand real-time sharing of medical information of vaccines provided by Walgreens to enrolled Veterans. VA is covering the cost of about 75,000 flu shots.