Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
- New Dermatology Clinic Open to Veterans
- Veterans coming to Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) for Dermatology treatment will now receive their care in a spacious, modern new clinic on the second floor of the Medical Center.
- DAISY Awards
- The DAISY Award is a very unique and heart-felt way to recognize and reward nurses who go above and beyond for our Veterans!
Photo: DAISY Award winner Brittny Briant with Veteran patient
- Aggressive Wound Care Heals Long-Term Wound
- An 81-year-old Houston area Army Veteran confined to a wheelchair for over a year and a half is crediting staff at VA’s Tomball Outpatient Clinic with providing him expert treatment that has him up on his feet again.
- New MEDVAMC Medical Care Line Executive
- A passion for quality patient care combined with a desire to help others is why Biykem Bozkurt became a doctor. After more than 17 years as a renowned cardiologist, she is the new MEDVAMC Medical Care Line Executive.
- Houston VA National Cemetery Memorial Day Service
- The Memorial Day Service, honoring deceased United States servicemen and women, is free and open to the public and will be held at the Houston VA National Cemetery on Monday, May 26, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.
- Newly Redesigned Newsletter for Veterans
- Welcome to our newly redesigned quarterly Veteran newsletter: VA Locomotive. This Spring/Summer edition is filled with helpful and enlightening information for our Veterans and their families.
- U.S. Olympic Athletes Visit Former POWs
- Lolo Jones, Julie Chu and Kikkan Randall, who all three competed in the Sochi 2014 Olympics, recently visited our Fisher House, attended a special former POW Veteran celebration, and visited Veteran patients.
- Healthy Vets are on the MOVE!
- Hundreds of Veterans are already reaping the benefits of Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center’s MOVE! and TeleMOVE! Weight loss programs and many more are expected to enroll in 2014.
- New Technology to Prevent Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Some military Veterans with heart conditions can now breathe easier thanks to new technology and a new procedure being employed by electrophysiologists at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center.
- Houston VA Re-Designated Magnet Hospital
- The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center received one of the highest levels of recognition a hospital can obtain: Magnet Re-Designation for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
From the Veterans Health Administration
- Seeking New Coping Tools for Veterans with TBI
- Cognitive rehabilitation researchers are testing new tools and strategies — from smartphone apps to online brain training — to help Veterans cope with the effects of mild traumatic brain injury.
- "Family" of Patients Appreciate VA Doctor
- Veteran patients of VA doctor in Augusta, Georgia, tell why they “wouldn’t have any other doctor.” Dr. Jianhua Cheng replies that he just wants to do his best and praises the entire Augusta team.
- Stand Downs - Putting Lives Back Together
- Stand Downs — Providing services to homeless Veterans, including health screenings, benefits counseling and other referrals. A collaborative effort by VA and other government and community agencies.
- Veterans: Have a health question? Search here!
- We’ve put the contacts for almost all your health questions in one convenient health index. Add this site to your FAVORITES for a link to take you to VA websites with valuable information.
- Helping Women Veterans Find the Help They Need
- VA’s Women Veterans Call Center has received over 11,000 incoming calls and made nearly 130,000 outbound calls, successfully reaching 76,000 women Veterans. The number is 1-855-VA-WOMEN.
- National Veterans Wheelchair Games Come to Philadelphia
- The National Veterans Wheelchair Games are designed to improve the quality of life for Veterans with disabilities and to foster better health through sports competition.
- The Purple Heart: One Veteran's Long Journey
- Thousands of American Veterans have received the Purple Heart. We mark the anniversary of the creation of the award by George Washington with the story of John Reist, wounded three times in Vietnam.
- Veterans: Keep Your Immunizations Up to Date
- Protect you and your family by keeping your vaccinations current. Here are some helpful links to websites on immunization information.
- Vanquishing PTSD at the Cellular Level
- VA researchers are exploring the possibility of using a steroid pill to take the trauma out of traumatic memories by quieting the intense and sometime debilitating emotions associated with those memories.
- The Other Side of VA Dentistry
- Dr. Dai Phan provides an accurate reproduction so that dental and nasal prostheses can be fabricated — a little known service provided to Veterans who have lost part of their oral cavity due to trauma or cancer.