Regular Scheduled Adult Volunteer Program
Thank you for your inquiry in becoming a volunteer at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC). Volunteers at VA Medical Centers across the country help our nations’ Veterans know they are not forgotten. If you are interested in volunteering please see our program requirements and submit the volunteer questionnaire. Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at (713)794-7135 and one of our staff members will be happy to discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America’s Veterans.
- Minimum 100 hours and 6 months
- Must complete mandatory orientation
- Background check (provided by MEDVAMC)
- Must have volunteer badge to begin volunteering
- Must wear Volunteer Vest (Volunteer will be responsible for $10.00 cost)
Next Steps Once Questionnaire has been Approved
- Must attend scheduled orientation
- Be prepared to stay up to 3 hours for orientation
- Must bring money order or cash in the amount of $10.00 for Volunteer Vest
- Meet with area supervisor
- Complete fingerprints
- Complete photo for badge
- Free parking
- Free Flu shot
- Free PPD testing
- Annual Volunteer Recognition Awards Program
- The Department of Voluntary Service does not oversee or register internships/externships; Post-Secondary students are not to be considered volunteers while receiving academic credit.
- The Department of Voluntary Service DOES NOT offer Shadowing/Observing Medical Physicians.
- Research and education corporation WOC employees are not to be considered as VAVS volunteers.
How to Apply
To apply for this program, click on the link here: Volunteer Questionnaire