Regular Scheduled Adult Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC). In order for us to help provide you with the best volunteer experience, Voluntary Service will coordinate placement in an area that is compatible for you from the volunteer opportunity list. Please be aware that all areas do not accept volunteers.
Upon your questionnaire being accepted, potential volunteers must be pre-screened with staff prior to orientation. Please note that our process time for potential volunteers will take up to 4 weeks.
- Minimum 100 hours and 6 months
- Complete Voluntary Service pre-screen
- Must provide Voluntary Service with a current copy of tuberculosis test
- Must provide 2 forms of state approved ID (TDL, SSC, Passport, Military ID card, etc.)
- Background check (provided by MEDVAMC)
- VA volunteer badge is required to volunteer
- Volunteer vest required ($10.00 cost)
Next Steps Once Selected and Approved
- Attend orientation (be prepared to stay up to 3 hours)
- Complete volunteer application and training documents
- Bring cash in the amount of $10.00 for Volunteer Vest
- Meet with area supervisor
- Complete fingerprinting and photo for badge
- Free parking
- Free Flu shot
- Annual Volunteer Recognition Awards Program
- The Department of Voluntary Service does not oversee or register internships/externships; Post-Secondary students are not to be considered volunteers while receiving academic credit.
- The Department of Voluntary Service DOES NOT offer Shadowing/Observing Medical Physicians.
- Research and education corporation WOC employees are not to be considered as VAVS volunteers.
How to Apply
To apply for this program, complete the Volunteer Questionnaire.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Blvd., Room 2A-104
Houston, Texas 77030