Teen Volunteer Program
High school students under the age of 18 are eligible to apply for our Summer Teen Volunteer Program. Each year students must apply (this includes returning students) in order to be considered for the current year’s Summer Teen Volunteer Program.
Our teen volunteers have the opportunity to learn the importance of ethics and confidentiality, professional behavior and appearance, infection control, fire safety and security.
How to become a teen volunteer:
- Questionnaires will be accepted beginning in February of each year
- Mandatory orientation is held in early June
- The Summer Teen Volunteer Program runs from June through August
- During the summer, teens can volunteer during the morning and/or afternoon shifts, but cannot exceed 8 hours per day; No weekend volunteer opportunities available
- Teens may volunteer in a variety of areas, including clerical and nursing units
- Complete and submit the Summer Teen Volunteer Questionnaire by the deadline
- In our effort to follow our mission to provide “real life experience” for the teenagers, we will not be taking phone calls/emails from parents/guardians. If the teen is interested in participating in the Summer Teen Volunteer Program, please have him/her contact Voluntary Service by phone or email.
- QUESTIONNAIRES RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AND/OR ILLEGIBLE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED, NO EXCEPTIONS
- Be at least 14 years of age by June 1 of the current year’s program in which applying
- Must wear uniform consisting of Khaki color pants (student must provide) and Maroon colored t-Shirt or polo shirt (one t-shirt or polo will be provided by Voluntary Service)
- Commit and complete a minimum of 100 hours over four weeks or more
- Submit most recent copy of student report card
- Must attend mandatory orientation, NO EXCEPTIONS
- Arrive on time to orientation, if you are more than 30 minutes late to orientation, you will not be allowed into the summer program, no exceptions
- Due to the high volume of submissions, questionnaires must be received by the deadline, NO EXCEPTIONS
- One free meal for completing four hours or more per day
- Certificate for completing program
- Volunteer Pin(s)
- Print out of Hours
- Free Parking
- Free Voluntary Service t-shirt or Polo (Student may also purchase additional t-Shirt/Polo from Voluntary Service at their own expense)
How to apply: Please email or mail the Summer Teen Volunteer Packet to the information below.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
ATTN: Tanya Lucky, Voluntary Service Specialist
2002 Holcombe Blvd., Room 2A-104
Houston, Texas 77030
713-794-7135 //// email@example.com