Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Lufkin VA Clinic Celebrates New Facility with Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
August 24, 2009
|WHAT:||Ribbon Cutting Ceremony|
|WHEN:||Friday, August 28, 2009, 9 a.m.|
|WHERE:||2206 North John Redditt Drive
Lufkin, Texas 75904-1776
|LOGISTICS:||Overflow parking for the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be available at Keltys First Baptist Church located at 2402 North John Redditt Drive. A shuttle bus will transport event guests between locations. Seating will be limited so it is suggested guests bring personal lawn chairs and perhaps an umbrella or hat in case of strong sun or inclement weather.|
Located on approximately seven acres of land on the west side of Lufkin just off Loop 287, the new, 37,000 square-foot facility will replace both the VA outpatient clinic located at 1301 West Frank Avenue and the Mental Health Clinic Annex at 1514 Ellis Avenue.
In primary care, the new clinic has eight provider offices, eight nurse offices, 24 examination rooms, a pulmonary function laboratory, and an observation room. On the mental health side of the building, there are 15 rooms for clinical staff and three group therapy rooms. The space for the laboratory, radiology, and pharmacy departments has more than doubled in size. The new facility will also have 250 parking spaces, approximately three times that of the building at 1301 West Frank Avenue.
The VA outpatient clinic in Lufkin, activated in 1991, was officially renamed under Public Law 108-422 (S. 424) in honor of former U.S. Representative Charles Wilson. A renaming ceremony was held on July 7, 2005.
The Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic provides primary care, laboratory, radiology, pharmacy, social work, nutrition, and mental health services to Veterans in the area. In the near future, optometry services will also be offered. In fiscal year 2008, there were 43,094 outpatient visits to the clinic.
Refreshments will be served and tours of the new clinic will be offered. This event is free and open to the public.
# # #