VA » Health Care » Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas » Press Releases » Hurricane Rita Status Update Monday, September 26, 2005
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Hurricane Rita Status Update Monday, September 26, 2005
September 26, 2005
- The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) in Houston will return to normal operations on Wednesday, September 28, 2005. This includes all outpatient clinics, as well as compensation and pension appointments, at the Houston location.
- Because of continued concerns regarding fuel, traffic congestion, and scattered power outages in Galveston County, the VA outpatient clinics in Galveston and Texas City will reopen in accordance with guidelines set by local city and county officials.
- Building assessments of the Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic in Lufkin for possible structural and water damage are continuing; however, the Lufkin clinic is closed until further notice.
- Because of power, water, sanitation, and transportation outages in the Beaumont area, the Beaumont VA Outpatient Clinic is closed until further notice.
- To reschedule cancelled appointments, veterans may begin calling the VA Network Telecare Hotline at (713) 794-8985 on Wednesday, September 28, 2005.
- Veterans who need medical advice should call the VA Network Telecare Center Hotline at (713) 794-8985 or toll-free 1-800-639-5137. Registered nurses, pharmacists, and administrative clerks are ready to answer veteran health care questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The VA Network Telecare Center is not for life-threatening emergencies. Veterans with life-threatening emergencies should immediately call 911.
- All non-essential personnel will remain on excused absence on Tuesday, September 27, 2005. All MEDVAMC personnel are required to report for their normal tour of duty on Wednesday, September 28, 2005. MEDVAMC employees, who have not already reported for duty or contacted their supervisor, are asked to immediately call the VA Employee Hotline at 1-866-233-0152 to check in with their status, location, and contact information. Operators are available from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week.
- The MEDVAMC will hold Stress Support Group meetings for veterans affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita every Monday at 1 p.m. and every Wednesday at 1 p.m. in Room 6C-117.
- The VA Canteen Service is open today and tomorrow. The Food Court is open 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. and the Retail Store is open 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. The Retail Store will close 1 p.m. - 1:40 p.m. for VCS employee lunch.
- CANCELLED - The Hispanic Heritage Celebration originally scheduled for September 28, 2005 at 1 p.m. in the 4th Floor Auditorium has been cancelled.
- The Daycare Center located in the Dental Conference Room in Room 2A-312 will be open on Tuesday, September 27, 2005, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. The Center is open to care for the dependent children under the age of 18 of MEDVAMC employees. A table is located immediately outside the room for registration and name tags. The Dental Conference Room can be reached at ext. 3556.
- It is important for all MEDVAMC employees to wear their VA identification badges at all times.
- The MEDVAMC will continue to keep you updated on personnel, patient, weather, and facility issues as information becomes available. Information flyers are posted near elevator banks around the MEDVAMC. Information is also available by calling the MEDVAMC Information Hotline at (713) 791-1414, ext. 3647 and through local