Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
DeBakey VA Medical Center Awarded Re-Accreditation from The Joint Commission
June 5, 2008
HOUSTON – The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) has achieved re-accreditation from The Joint Commission as a result of its demonstrated compliance with the organization’s nationally recognized health care standards. The Joint Commission’s on-site survey of the MEDVAMC and its outpatient clinics occurred April 7 – 11, 2008.
The Joint Commission evaluates and accredits more than 15,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States. An independent, not-for-profit organization, The Joint Commission is the nation’s predominant standards-setting and accrediting body in health care. Since 1951, The Joint Commission has maintained state-of-the-art standards that focus on improving the quality and safety of care provided by health care organizations. The Joint Commission’s comprehensive process evaluates an organization’s compliance with these standards and other accreditation or certification requirements.
The MEDVAMC was surveyed and received accreditation in the following programs: hospital, long term care, behavioral health care, and home care.
Joint Commission accreditation and certification is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards. To earn and maintain The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™, an organization must undergo an on-site survey by a Joint Commission survey team at least every three years.
Medical Center Director Edgar L. Tucker spoke of his pride in a staff whose members proactively and continuously ask what needs to be done in order to be accredited by The Joint Commission. “In addition, our staff appreciates the educational aspect of the survey and the opportunity to interact with the team of surveyors.”
He called the accreditation, “proof of an organization-wide commitment to provide the highest quality health care possible to the veterans in Southeast Texas.”
# # #