Hurricane Ike Daily Update: Monday, September 15, 2008, Noon
September 15, 2008
- MEDVAMC is fully functional and attempting to resume normal operations. Staff should report to duty as scheduled. If you cannot report, contact your supervisor or the VA Employee Hotline by calling 1-866-233-0152. You are required to check in with your status, location, and contact information. Operators are available 24 hours, seven days a week until further notice.
- Individuals who experienced damage to their vehicle on the VA complex during the hurricane may file a report with the VA Police.
- The outpatient clinics in Galveston, Texas City, Conroe, Beaumont and Lufkin are closed today. Assessments of these clinics are currently being made and information will be provided when a determination is made on their reopening.
- If you have staffing issues and need people to answer phones, greet patients, etc., call the Labor Pool at ext. 7598 and let them know your manpower needs. Staff who have youth (minimum age 14) that would like to volunteer, contact the Volunteer Office at ext. 7135.
- The MEDVAMC has arranged with Diamond A-CAT-A-ME for free child care for employees on scheduled tour of duty. This child care center is on Almeda across from the VA Complex and has all necessary licenses and background checks in place. Diapers, formula, medicines, and extra clothes must be provided by the parents. This benefit is being provided to employees with no other options. Contact your supervisor for more information.
- Evacuated veterans with urgent care needs requiring continuing care may contact any VA facility by dialing 1-800-507-4571. This phone number may also be used by families and friends requiring information about patients from those VA facilities affected by natural and man-made disasters. Veterans may call with questions such as where to access health care, how to receive their prescription drugs, or any other concerns they may have about their care.
- FEMA is ready to victims of Hurricane Ike. Applicants should call the FEMA hotline number at 1-800-621-3362 or visit www.fema.org *. Three types of assistance are available: rent assistance for temporary housing; financial assistance for home repairs; and other needs assistance (i.e., medical expenses, dental expenses, personal property damage, and transportation assistance).
- The van pool and GSA vehicle parking lot has been moved to Lot D located behind the Engineering buildings.
- Both Vet Centers are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday, September 16, 2008.
- If you need a Red Cross shelter, call 1-800-433-2767.
- For information on road conditions, visit www.txdot.gov * or call 1-800-452-9292.
|Emergency Mgr Coordinator
This link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site and will open in a new window. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of linked Web sites.