VA » Health Care » Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas » Press Releases » Hurricane Ike Daily Update: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, Noon
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Hurricane Ike Daily Update: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, Noon
September 16, 2008
- MEDVAMC is fully functional and attempting to resume normal operations. Staff should report to duty as scheduled.
- An Employee Support Unit (ESU) has been established to provide general resource information to employees affected by Hurricane Ike. The ESU will operate from 8 a.m. -4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, until further notice. Employees wishing to contact the ESU may do so by calling 713-794-7754 or 713-794-7755 or by visiting Room 2C-341.
- A prayer service will be held on Wednesday, noon, in the Chapel located on the 2nd Floor, for all those affected by Hurricane Ike. All employees, veterans and visitors are invited to attend.
- The Canteen has received some basic supplies from fellow Canteen units in Texas that individuals may be looking for or in need of. These include: paper towels, toilet tissue, personal hygiene items, toothbrushes and toothpaste, portable fans, dish soap, hand bar soap, snack items, canned soups and meal packs.
- Individuals who experienced damage to their vehicle on the VA complex during the hurricane may file a report with the VA Police.
- The outpatient clinics in Galveston, Texas City, Conroe, and Beaumont are closed today. Assessments of these clinics are currently being made and information will be provided when a determination is made on their reopening. Lufkin reopened today.
- If you have staffing issues and need people to answer phones, greet patients, etc., call the Labor Pool at ext. 7598 and let them know your manpower needs. Staff who have youth (minimum age 14) that would like to volunteer, contact the Volunteer Office at ext. 7135.
- The MEDVAMC has arranged with Diamond A-CAT-A-ME for free child care for employees on scheduled tour of duty. This child care center is on Almeda across from the VA Complex and has all necessary licenses and background checks in place. Diapers, formula, medicines, and extra clothes must be provided by the parents. This benefit is being provided to employees with no other options. Contact your supervisor for more information.
- Evacuated veterans with urgent care needs requiring continuing care may contact any VA facility by dialing 1-800-507-4571. This phone number may also be used by families and friends requiring information about patients from those VA facilities affected by natural and man-made disasters. Veterans may call with questions such as where to access health care, how to receive their prescription drugs, or any other concerns they may have about their care.
- FEMA is ready to victims of Hurricane Ike. Applicants should call the FEMA hotline number at 1-800-621-3362 or visit www.fema.org *. Three types of assistance are available: rent assistance for temporary housing; financial assistance for home repairs; and other needs assistance (i.e., medical expenses, dental expenses, personal property damage, and transportation assistance).
- The van pool and GSA vehicle parking lot has been moved to Lot D located behind the Engineering buildings.
- Both Vet Centers are closed today., September 16, 2008.
- If you need a Red Cross shelter, call 1-800-433-2767.
- For information on road conditions, visit www.txdot.gov * or call 1-800-452-9292.
|Emergency Mgr Coordinator||713.794.8994|
|*||This link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site and will open in a new window. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of linked Web sites.|