Lufkin VA Clinic Celebrates Unveiling of Larger-Than-Life Statue of Charlie Wilson
January 10, 2011
On November 30, 2004, the United States Congress passed and the President signed Public Law 108-422 (S. 424) officially changing the name of the Lufkin health care facility to the Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic
The Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic will hold a special ceremony to dedicate a remembrance statue of its namesake, Charles “Charlie” Nesbitt Wilson.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 1 p.m.
Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic
2206 North John Redditt Drive
Lufkin, Texas 75904-1776
Overflow parking for the ceremony will be available at Keltys First Baptist Church located at 2402 North John Redditt Drive. A shuttle bus will transport event guests between locations. Seating will be limited so it is suggested guests bring lawn chairs and perhaps an umbrella or hat in the event of inclement weather.
The “Standing Tall with Charlie Wilson” statue by artist David Adickes will tower more than 10-feet at the main entrance of the clinic. Adickes, a local southeast Texas sculptor whose work includes the 67-foot-tall Sam Houston at Huntsville, an 8-foot bronze statue of former President George H. W. Bush in the Bush International Airport in Houston, and the 36-foot-tall cellist at Houston’s Lyric Centre, came out of retirement to complete this monument.
On November 30, 2004, the United States Congress passed and the President signed Public Law 108-422 (S. 424) officially changing the name of the Lufkin health care facility to the Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic.
Born in Trinity, Texas, Wilson received a bachelor’s degree from the United States Naval Academy in 1956 and served in the United States Navy, with rank of lieutenant from 1956 to 1960. He was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1960 and then elected to the Texas Senate in 1966. In 1973, Wilson was elected to the 93rd United States Congress and served as a U.S. Representative until 1997. Wilson died on February 10, 2010 at the age of 76.
The Charles Wilson VA Outpatient Clinic provides primary care, laboratory, radiology, pharmacy, social work, nutrition, and mental health services to Veterans in the area. In the near future, optometry services will also be offered. In fiscal year 2010, there were 49,423 outpatient visits to the clinic.
Refreshments will be served. This event is free and open to the public.