Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Spinal Cord Injury Center
‚ÄúSpinal Cord Injury Center‚ÄĚ
The mission of the Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Care Line within the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is to restore and maintain maximal health, independence, productivity, and quality of life of Veterans with SCI.
- Rehabilitation after an acute injury or illness
- Advanced or focused rehabilitation to address additional rehabilitation goals after the initial rehabilitation process
- Medical and surgical management of acute and chronic medical complications through the SCI outpatient clinic, SCI home care program, and the SCI inpatient units
- Long-term follow-up of medical and rehabilitation needs and preventive health maintenance through annual examinations
The vision of SCI¬†Care Line is to provide the following:
- Superior health care for Veterans with SCI
- Continuum of care available to Veterans with SCI throughout their lifetimes
- Independent living maximized for all Veterans with SCI
- Core values of Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence (‚ÄúI CARE‚ÄĚ) reflected in all interactions
- Leadership in developing and implementing innovative treatment methods derived from continuing education and research
The SCI Care Line is located on the first floor of the facility and includes 40 inpatient beds on Nursing Units 1A and 1B. It also includes the SCI Outpatient Clinic, SCI Home Care Program, Urodynamics Lab, Occupational Therapy Clinic, Physical Therapy and Kinesiotherapy Clinic, Therapeutic Pool, and a Transitional Living Apartment for training.
The DeBakey VA SCI Center is within the VA‚Äôs Spinal Cord Injury & Disorders (SCI&D) system of care, servicing the¬†South Central VA Health Care Network (VISN 16).¬†¬†The center provides care to Veterans and active duty personnel.¬†¬†SCI staff work closely with the spinal cord injured Veteran, family members, and significant others to ensure the highest quality of care. Staff also have a collaborative relationship with the Texas Paralyzed Veterans of America* and takes pride in providing lifelong, comprehensive, personalized care that extends from the hospital into the home and community.
- Inpatient, Outpatient, and¬† Home Care
- Complete medical, psychological, and social assessment
- Development of an individualized treatment plan and discharge plan¬†
- Appropriate medical and surgical treatments, interventions, and referrals
- Education and training for the Veteran served, family members/support systems, attendants, and health care professionals
- Communication and coordination with the interdisciplinary treatment team to facilitate service delivery, including discussion of weekly treatment plan and goals
SCI Main Office: 713.794.7128
SCI Outpatient Clinic: 713.794.7057