Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Without Compensation (WOC) Appointment
WOC APPOINTMENT - NOT PAID BY VA
Welcome to Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, the most complex VA medical center in the nation. Many members of our workforce have WOC (without compensation) appointments, often as students training in our facility or as individuals working in our Research Service.
To begin the WOC appointment process, we ask that you complete the following required forms. Please note that forms 1 – 8 are required for all WOC applicants. Item 9 only applies to individuals who will be participating in VA research. Before you begin, be sure you have a printer available, as some of these forms cannot be saved.
When your forms are complete, submit them to your VA sponsor.
1. Application - select the appropriate form for the purpose of your appointment:
- Form 10-2850D for Trainees
- VA Form 10-2850 for MDs, Dentists, Podiatrists and Optometrists
- VA Form 10-2850a for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists
- VA Form 10-2850c for physician assistants, LVNs, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, physical
therapists, occupational therapists, expanded-function dental auxiliary, pharmacy technicians,
diagnostic radiologic technologists, nuclear medicine technologists, therapeutic radiologic
technologists, medical instrument technicians, medical technologists, audiologists, speech
pathologists, audiologists, speech pathologists, prosthetic representatives, orthotists,
prosthetists, dental hygienists, dental assistants, social workers, psychologists, dietitians,
medical record administrators or specialists, medical record technicians, biomedical engineers,
blind rehabilitation specialists, kinesiotherapists, and occupational therapy assistants
- Resume: All Others
2. Form OF-306 Declaration of Federal Employment
4. Form I-9 Complete Section 1 (Employee Information and Verification), and Sign
5. Welcome/Agreement Letter Enter information in all parentheses. Sign and Date at the bottom.
7. VA Employee Health requirements are:
- PPD (within the last 90 days)
- Hepatitis B Titer
- VA Certificate of Compliance
10. VA Research
VA research is research conducted by VA researchers (serving on compensated, work without
compensation (WOC), or Intergovernmental Agreement (IPA) appointments) while on VA time,
utilizing VA resources (e.g. equipment) or on VA property including spaced leased to or used
by VA. The research may be funded by VA, by other sponsors, or be unfunded.
What to expect after you submit your forms:
In approximately 10 business days, you will be contacted with instructions on how to complete your background investigation (fingerprinting), identification verification, and name badge photograph.
For your Human Resources (HR) visit, please be sure to bring with you two (2) forms of personal identification.
1. Please note that the name on the identification must match exactly. (If one ID has a full middle name,
and the other has a middle initial, then the initial must match).
2. One State or Federal ID must contain a photograph.
3. Both IDs must be original documents and currently valid, not expired.
4. Examples of acceptable identification includes: state-issued drivers license, Social Security card, U.S.
Passport, state voter registration card, and school ID with photograph.
In addition, if you require credentialing and/or privileging, you will be contacted by your sponsor within 5 business days of your packet submission by our Credentialing and Privileging department with instructions on how to access and complete our on-line “VetPro” credentialing system.
Estimated WOC Process Completion Times:
1. No credentialing and/or privileging required: 30 days
2. Credentialing and/or privileging required: 60 days