Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Below are resources that could benefit Veterans during recovery after severe weather or other emergencies.
- 911 (life threatening emergencies)
- Harris County Emergency Management: 713-881-3100
- Harris County Non-Emergency: 713-221-6000
- Houston Police Department: 713-884-3131
- Brazoria County Emergency Operation Center: 978-864-1064
- Montgomery County Emergency Operation Center: 936-523-3900
- Harris County Emergency Operation Center: 713-881-3100
- Galveston County Emergency Operation Center: 281-309-5002
- U.S. Coast Guard Sector Houston Command Center numbers: 281-464-4851 | 4852 | 4853 | 4854 | 4855
- Non-emergency city services: 311
- Additional help: 211
- Evacuation registration: 311
- Evacuation routes: 1-800-452-9292
- Roadside assistance: 1-800-525-5555
- Gas leaking: 713-659-2111 or 888-876-5786
- Power outage: 713-207-2222 or 800-332-7143
- State Bar of Texas Legal hotline: 800-504-7030
- CenterPoint for downed power lines or gas lines: 888-876-5786
- Price Gouging: Texas Attorney General: 1-800-621-0508
- The Veterans Crisis Line: Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available.
- VA Disaster Assistance Brochure
- Vet Center/Counseling: 1-877-WAR-VETS
- VA Health Eligibility Center: 1-855-488-8443
- FEMA Disaster Assistance
- FEMA Disaster Assistance flyer
- Disaster Assistance or 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
- Visit the FEMA Social Hub for updates from official emergency management social media accounts.
- Filing a Flood Insurance Claim
- Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund (FEEA): FEEA offers disaster relief grants to eligible federal employees when these disasters strike. FEEA has given over 9,000 disaster relief grants totaling $4.5 million to federal employees since 1986.
- Disaster Loan Assistance (homeowners, renters, businesses) from Small Business Administration: 1-800-659-2955
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance
- 2-1-1- Texas/United way HELPLINE: always available-24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 2-1-1 can be a helpful resource if you don't know who to call.
- Highway conditions
- City of Houston Emergency Information
- Harris County Office of Emergency Management
- City of Houston Emergency Preparedness Cookbook
- Towed Cars: must know your License Plate Number or VIN Number
- Free legal help for Hurricane Harvey survivors. Call the State Bar of Texas Disaster Helpline at 800-504-7030 or State Bar of Texas for more information.
- For a list of food pantries and other food assistance, contact the Houston Food Bank or call 832-369-9390.
- For disaster food stamp benefits, reach the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) at 1-877-541-7905.
- Houston SPCA: 713-869-7722
- BARC: 713-837-0311
- United Way of Greater Houston "After the Storm Resource Guide"
- Texas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
- To find family & friends or to register yourself as safe, visit th American Red Cross Safe & Well site.
- Ensuring that Your Water is Safe to Drink from the American Red Cross