Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Flu Shots for Veterans
Attention Veterans: Flu shots are now available!
Why should you get a flu shot?
The flu is a serious disease that can lead to hospitalization and sometimes even death. Flu shots are the cornerstone of prevention efforts and are provided to Veterans at no cost. An annual flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances that you will get seasonal flu and spread it to others.
How can I get a flu shot?
Getting the vaccine is easy!
- Ask for a flu shot at any scheduled appointment
- Walk in to any clinic and ask for one
- Visit your VA Outpatient Clinic
- VA has also teamed up with Walgreens to provide free vaccinations for enrolled Veterans. Walk into any of the over 8,000 Walgreens nationally to rececive a vaccination at no cost. Present your Veterans identification card and a photo ID, and a Walgreens pharmacist administers the vaccine and transmits that information securely to VA where it becomes part of the patient’s electronic medical record.
- To locate a Walgreens store near you, call 800-WALGREENs (800-925-4733), or go to Walgreens.com/findastore.
- To learn more about the partnership, call 1-877-771-8537 or visit the VA Community Care website.
VA is committed to keeping Veteran patients healthy, and during flu season vaccination is the best way to prevent the spread of flu. No matter where you live, visit VA or Walgreens to get a no-cost quadrivalent flu shot.
To get more information on flu and flu vaccine, visit www.publichealth.va.gov/flu or www.cdc.gov/flu.