VA » Health Care » Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas » Features
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
- Caring for Veterans During the Pandemic
- While a surge of COVID-19 cases is affecting hospitals around the country, the Houston VA Medical Center is staying atop the wave, thanks to preparation and lessons learned since the pandemic began.
- Fighting the Flu Together
- During flu season, protecting your health and the health of your family and friends with a flu shot is easier than ever. You can get your flu shot at your VA appointment or at a Walgreens or other pharmacy near you.
- Acceptance and Commitment Training (ACT) Workshops
- Acceptance and Commitment Training (ACT) Workshops help Veterans going through surgery. The workshops involve Veterans who are experiencing distress and/or high pain levels prior to surgery.
- Houston VA Begins Clinical Trial for COVID-19
- Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is the first VA facility to participate in a clinical trial evaluating the therapeutic benefit of an immunomodulator drug, Tocilizumab, as a treatment for Veterans with COVID-19.
- Beaumont VA Clinic Now Open!
- Tropical Storm Imelda forced Beaumont VA Clinic to see Veterans out of tents for eight and half months. Gone now is any trace of the tents in the parking lot. The Beaumont clinic is open for business.
- Vets Dive into New World with VR
- “Got one!” said Army Veteran Kenneth Smith. He just landed a zebra tuna from a tropical paradise while using Oculus Go, a virtual reality headset that Recreation Therapy uses to provide entertainment to inpatients.
- The Hazards of Vaping
- Army Veteran Blake Annunziato, not yet 30 years old, recently thought he would require a lung transplant due to vaping-induced pneumonia. Now, he just hopes to one day regain 80 percent of his lung capacity.
- PRRC Uses Roles to Help Vets
- In the past, Navy Veteran Donna Dittmann’s depression wouldn’t allow her to make eye contact with people. That all changed thanks to Houston VA’s Psychosocial Rehabilitation & Recovery Center.
- Houston PA Deploys to Fight COVID-19
- Aji Kurian, a captain in the US Army Reserves & Houston VAMC physician assistant, deployed on April 4 to fight COVID-19 in Boston. What he found was a ghost town with empty streets and full hospital beds.
- Houston VA Nurses Lend a Hand to New Orleans
- Last month, a group of seven critical care nurses from the Houston VA Medical Center packed up their lives, left their families and traveled to New Orleans to care for Veterans with COVID-19.