Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Teen Volunteer Program
2019 Summer Teen Volunteer Program
High school teens, under the age of 18, are eligible to apply for our Summer Teen Volunteer Program. Each year, teens must apply for the program to be considered for the current year’s Summer Teen Volunteer Program, including returning teens.
Our teen volunteers learn about the mission of the MEDVAMC, the importance of our core values I CARE, and represent Voluntary Service by improving how Veterans and their families experience care.
Guidelines to become a teen volunteer
- Questionnaires accepted beginning in February
- Mandatory orientation scheduled in early June
- Program runs from June through August
- Teens can volunteer in the morning and/or afternoon shifts (No weekend or evening volunteer opportunities available)
- Teens may volunteer in a variety of areas
- Submit the Summer Teen Volunteer Questionnaire by the deadline (Questionnaires and report cards will be accepted by email only)
- In our effort to provide a “real life experience” for the teenagers, we will only take inquiries from teens, not from parents or guardians
- Must be 14 years of age, by June 1 of the current year’s program, in which applying
- Required uniform consisting of khaki color slacks and maroon color Voluntary Service Logo Shirt (Slacks provided by student and shirt provided by Voluntary Service)
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours or more (cannot exceed 8 volunteer hours per day)
- Submit most recent copy of student report card
- Required to attend mandatory orientation
- Arrive on time to orientation
- Due to the high volume of submissions, questionnaires will not be accepted after the deadline
- Eligible for one meal ticket, for 4-8-hour volunteer shift
- Certificate upon completion of program
- Volunteer Award Pin(s)
- Print out of volunteer hours
- Free parking
- Free Voluntary Service logo shirt
How to apply: Please email questionnaire and report card to the information below.
Email address: email@example.com
Subject Line: Teen Volunteer Questionnaire & Report Card
Questions? Please call:
Tanya Lucky, Voluntary Service Specialist, 713-794-7135
Deadline to return questionnaire & report card is March 15, 2019.