Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
Brain Injury Research Group
Research Helping Veterans
Dr. Ricardo Jorge and his team work every day to answer questions that affect the health of our Veterans, such as:
- How are OEF/OIF/OND Veterans different after deployment, compared with active-duty service members who haven’t been deployed yet?
- How do OEF/OIF/OND Veterans and their medical concerns change over time after they’ve returned?
- Can the bacteria that live in a Veteran’s intestines make his or her PTSD worse?
- If there is no existing treatment for TBI, is there medication that can help improve memory problems? What types of memory problems do they help with?
- Some of the symptoms of TBI and growth hormone deficiency (GHD) are similar, such as memory and concentration problems, sleep and fatigue problems, depression and other mood disorders). How many Veterans actually suffer from both TBI and GHD?
- Can Veterans who have both TBI and GHD see improvement in their memory, concentration, and sleep problems by getting treatment for their lower-than-normal growth hormone levels?
- Does traumatic brain injury (TBI) make Veterans more likely to have alcohol or substance abuse problems? How can Veterans recover from these issues?
If you are a Veteran who is interested in learning more about paid research opportunities at the Houston VA, please call us at 713-794-7493.
For more information about ways research can help you, your family, and your fellow Veterans, please contact us at 713-794-7493.