Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center offers a wide variety of support groups for both Veterans and family members. Talk with a social worker in your Prime Care Clinic for more information.
- Cancer Support Groups
- Caregiver Support Group
- Epilepsy Support Group
- MOVE! Weight Management Groups
- Multiple Sclerosis Support Group
- Parkinsons's Disease Education/Support Group (PADRECC)
- Transplant Support Group
- Veteran's Amputee Support Team (VAST)
- Vet to Vet Support and Education Group
Cancer Support Groups
Surviving cancer can be physically and mentally challenging, but you are never alone. Come to a support group to share your story, hear others' experiences, and learn about your condition. Veteran-focused, confidential, and facilitated by cancer psychologist. Veterans and family members are welcome to drop in, no appointment is needed. Have a seat in the Cancer Center waiting room and you will be called back at 11 a.m.
- Breast Cancer: Second Tuesday of every month, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Vets Helping Vets (all cancers and caregivers): Third Tuesday of every month, 11:00 a.m. - noon.
- Living with Prostate Cancer: Fourth Tuesday of each month, 11:00 a.m. - noon.
Caregiver Support Group
This monthly support group is open to all Caregivers of Veterans. The group will provide information about various VA and community resources while providing Caregivers with a time to interact and ask questions. .
When: Fourth Wednesday of each month, 11:00 a.m. to noon
Where: Fisher House III (Parking is available at Fisher House III on a first come, first serve basis.)
VA Outpatient Clinics: Beaumont, Conroe, Galveston, Lake Jackson, Lufkin, Texas City, and Tomball.
POC: Caregiver Support Program Coordinators: Desiree Corbin, LaShanta Dorsey-Lee, Lakeisha Hasten, or Ashley Keefe-Diaz at 713-791-1414, ext. 28634.
More information: VA Caregiver Support Program
Epilepsy Support Group
Patients can learn skills to manage living with epilepsy and improve quality of life. It is also an opportunity to meet with Veterans with epilepsy.
When: Second Friday of every month.
Where: Room 2B-210.
POC: Melissa Fadipe at 713-794-8835. Patients need to contact the Epilepsy Nurse Practitioner to schedule an appointment for travel pay.
- MOVE! 101 - Introduction/Enrollment into MOVE!: Second and fourth Thursday of each month. 9:00 a.m. Check in Clinic 2.
- Weight Management Support Group - Nutrition Focused: First Thursday of each month. 9:00 a.m., Prime Care Clinic 2.
- Weight Management Support Group - Behavior Focused: Third Thursday of each month. 10:00 a.m., Prime Care Clinic 2.
- Women’s Support Group: Third Thursday of each month. 9:00 a.m., Women’s Clinic
Multiple Sclerosis Support Group
When: Second Thursday of each month, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Where: Nursing Unit 2A Dayroom, Room 2B-210.
POC: Group Facilitators Angelica Rivera, PT, Rosa Lane-Smith, LCSW, or Rose Galicia, LCSW at 713-791-1414 ext. 24034 or 27951.
Parkinson's Disease Education/Support Group (PADRECC)
When: Teleconference first Thursday of each month.
Where: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., 800-767-1750, code 39135#.
POC: Group Facilitators Sally Samuel at 713-794-8410 or Olga Diverse at 713-794-7842 (schedule available)
Transplant Support Group
Pre and post-transplant patients, transplant support persons, and friends and family are encouraged to attend. No appointment or advanced notice required. Walk-ins are welcome!
When: Every Tuesday, 11:00 a.m. to noon.
Where: Transplant/Dialysis Conference Room, check-in at 3B-317.
POC: Group facilitator, Midge Myhre, LCSW, at 713-791-1414, ext. 26286.
Veteran’s Amputee Support Team (VAST)
Friends and family are welcome to attend as well.
When: Fourth Wednesday of each month, 3:00 p.m.
Where: Nursing Unit 2A Dining Room, 2B-210.
POC: Group Facilitators Stacy Flynn, PT at 713-794-7819 or Rosa Lane-Smith, LCSW, at 713-791-1414, ext. 24034.
Vet to Vet Support and Education Group
Peer education and support group.
When: Every Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Room 6B-118.
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., Room 6B-117.
Thursday: 11:00 a.m. to noon, Room 6C-167.
POC: Dr. Charlie Nguyen at 713-791-1414, ext. 24565.
Hours of Operation
- Varies per support group.