Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas
The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center offers a wide variety of support groups for both Veterans and family members. Talk with a social worker in your Prime Care Clinic for more information.
- Cancer Support Groups
- Caregiver Support Group
- Epilepsy Support Group
- MOVE! Weight Management Groups
- Multiple Sclerosis Support Group
- Palliative Care Support Group
- Parkinsons's Disease Education/Support Group (PADRECC)
- Stroke Support Group
- Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Gender Questioning Support Group
- Transplant Support Group
- Veteran's Amputee Support Team (VAST)
Cancer Support Groups
Surviving cancer can be physically and mentally challenging, but you are never alone. Join a virtual support group to share your story, hear others' experiences, and learn about your condition. Veteran-focused, confidential, and facilitated by cancer psychologist. Veterans and family members are welcome. Call-in groups are open to everyone and do not require an appointment.
- Breast Cancer: Second Tuesday of every month, 11:00 a.m. via Zoom. Contact Dr. Bethany Aiena at 832-450-6137 to sign up.
- Vets Helping Vets (General cancer support group.): Third Tuesday of every month, 11:00 a.m. Call 800-767-1750, code 85331#.
- Prostate Cancer: Fourth Tuesday of each month, 11:00 a.m. Call 800-767-1750, code 72683#.
- Urology Stress Management: Every Wednesday, 11 a.m. Call 800-767-1750, code 85331#.
Caregiver Support Group
This monthly support group is open to all Caregivers of Veterans. The group will provide information about various VA and community resources while providing Caregivers with a time to interact and ask questions. .
When: Fourth Wednesday of each month, 11:00 a.m. to noon.
VA Outpatient Clinics: Beaumont, Conroe, Galveston, Lake Jackson, Lufkin, Texas City, and Tomball.
POC: Contact Caregiver Support Program Coordinator Ronda Anderson, at 713-791-1414, ext. 28634 to sign up.
More information: VA Caregiver Support Program
Epilepsy Support Group
Patients can learn skills to manage living with epilepsy and improve quality of life. It is also an opportunity to meet with Veterans with epilepsy.
When: Second Friday of every month.
POC: Contact Melissa Fadipe at 713-794-8835 to sign up. Patients need to contact the Epilepsy Nurse Practitioner to schedule an appointment for travel pay.
MOVE! Weight Management Groups
For more information about the following MOVE! Support Groups, please contact the Group facilitator Jordyn Forsyth at 713-791-1414, ext. 26166 or by messaging the MOVE! Program in secure messaging on My HealteVet. MOVE! has several virtual options for Veterans.
- MOVE! 16-Week Virtual Weekly Groups: Mondays at 12 p.m., Tuesdays at 8:30 a.m., and Wednesdays at 2 p.m.
- MOVE! Evening Virtual Group Classes: Mondays at 5:15 p.m.
- MOVE! Diabetes Virtual Program: Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
- MOVE! Virtual Fitness Classes: Mondays at 1:30 p.m., Wednesday at 8 a.m., and Fridays at 8 a.m.
- MOVE! Telephone Group: Thursdays at 9 a.m.
- MOVE! Telephone Lifestyle Coaching: Available sessions Monday-Friday
Palliative Care Support Group: "Finding a Path Through the Wilderness"
For Veterans living with life-limiting and life-threatening illnesses. Meet other patients, explore individual coping and grief processes, and gain knowledge and skills to help yourselves and each other. Each session will include a rotating topic with coping skills education, as well as time for open discussion and support.
When: Temporarily Suspended
Where: Temporarily Suspended
POC: Register with Group Facilitator, Dr. L. Alexis Correll at 713-791-1414 ext. 26948.
Parkinson's Disease Education/Support Group (PADRECC)
When: Teleconference first Thursday of each month.
Where: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., 800-767-1750, code 39135#.
POC: Group Facilitators Sally Samuel at 713-794-8410 or Olga Diverse at 713-794-7842 (schedule available)
Provides health education and a supportive environment to stroke survivors and their families. Specific objectives are:
- To provide open discussion and learning opportunities in a supportive setting.
- To provide resources for support, counseling, and education on stroke and its progression as well as rehabilitation.
- Provide stroke survivors and their families a place to get answers after a stroke.
- Provide peer support, hope, and encouragement.
When: Second Wednesday of every month, 10-11 a.m.
Where: Zoom, find details HERE.
POC: Aji Kurian, PA-C, Stroke Coordinator for Stroke Center, at 713-794-1414, extension 24552 or Olawale Moyosore, RN, Stroke Data Manager for Stroke Center, at 713-794-1414 extension 26281
Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Gender Questioning Support Group: Bravely Becoming Real
A group for that offers a safe place for transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender questioning Veterans to discuss and explore topics related to identity, relationships, military and VA culture, coming out, stigma, sexuality, health, grief, stress, current events, and many more.
When: Every Friday, 1:00 p.m., virtually
POC: If you are interested in participating or finding out more about the group, please contact Dr. Hiram Rivera-Mercado, 281-217-9028.
Transplant Support Group
Pre and post-transplant patients, transplant support persons, and friends and family are encouraged to attend. No appointment or advanced notice required. Walk-ins are welcome!
When: Temporarily Suspended
Where: Temporarily Suspended
POC: Group facilitator, Midge Myhre, LCSW, at 713-791-1414, ext. 26286.
Veteran’s Amputee Support Team (VAST)
Friends and family are welcome to attend as well.
When: Last Wednesday of each month, 2:00 p.m.
POC: Contact Bismy Joseph, Amputation Rehabilitation Coordinator at 713-791-1414, extension 28054 to sign up.
Hours of Operation
- Varies per support group.